Objective: The student will incorporate writing skills with an awareness of public issues.
Resources: Teacher: Editorial sections from newspapers. Students: paper and pencil.
Teacher Preparation: None.
1. Procedure: Have students read editorials in newspaper.
2. Brainstorm ideas as a class about school issues or current events.
3. Narrow ideas down to four or five.
4. Write a first draft directed to principal or newspaper editor.
5. Edit with a partner or in a group.
6. Write a final copy.
7. Share with class.
Variations/Options: Teacher can make decision regarding sending or submitting letters to the principal or newspaper, or just using in class. Students may also read some actual letters to the editor as examples.