Maps: Take a Road Trip
Objective: In this lesson, students will incorporate map reading, math, library research skills and writing.
Resources: Teacher: Country or continent road map for each group. Students: paper, pencil, marker.
Teacher Preparation: Locate maps.
1. Divide class into groups of 4 or 5.
2. Give each group a road map.
3. Have each group plan a road trip between two cities on opposite edges of the map, estimating a reasonable distance to travel each day.
4. Use marker or paper-and-tape flags to show route taken.
5. The groups should write a daily journal. Based on research, the journal should give an account of the different things they would experience along the way.
6. Each group gives a presentation of their results to the other groups when the “trips” are completed.
Variations/Options: Use distant countries requiring more research; communicate with another class via Internet where each class takes a trip near their city, describing to the other class what they see and where they go.