page > Lesson Plans > Math
World > The
Twelve Days of Christmas
Objective: Students will
use different problem-solving strategies, and creative writing.
Teacher: Teacher copies of Brian Wildsmith's "The Twelve Days
Student: pencil, paper, calculator.
- Hand out copies of "The Twelve Days of Christmas.
- Read through the song with the class.
- Ask students to solve the problem of how many presents
- Use this lesson as an opportunity to explain sequences,
in this case 1+12 six times to find the answer.
- Students can research prices of each gift.
- Have students substitute present-day items that they
think might be more appropriate.
- Discuss the historical context of each gift from the
- Have students write their own rap version of the song.
- Students can do a creative writing exercise describing
the consequences of having all these gifts around twelve days or twelve
weeks AFTER Christmas.